Sunday, July 23, 2006

On Skiing


I have been away this past week, firstly on a visit to Sydney and spending the mid course of the week skiing.

Having been completely uninitiated into the sport of skiing, I took the plunge into the unknown abyss, hoping that I could possibly be the next Big Thing in the Australian Alps. Well, for the record, I did manage to take out three skiers on the first day with a display of spectacular falls and crashes. It was embarrassing. Nevertheless, even though the effects of a turgid nose were beginning to bog me down with heavy breathing, the courageous skier in me trudged on. Yet, by mid-day, I was tackling the steeper slopes, swishing past the majority of experienced skiers with deadly (pun intended) speed before the inevitable end of an awkward fall. Perhaps what I was lacking in skill was more than compensated by an abundance of temerity.

Surprisingly, Day Two and Three really went past in a flash (not in the falling manner) as I gradually mastered the art of balance. Imagine the exhilaration when you reach the bottom of the slope intact and upright instead of having snow spewing out from all your pockets. I was now able to appreciate the milieu of the Alps in full flow when coming down the slopes rather than a furtive glance every few seconds before greeting the ground. The trip nearly ended on a sour note as we missed our coach on the last day but alas, I managed to bump into a few mates who took us down the mountains. All's well that ends well albeit the few heart stopping moments that left us mortified at the sight of the coach leaving, without us onboard.

================================================

I read a very meaningful statement recently. It went like, 'Writing has always been a form of catharsis for me'. This left me rapt in thought for a long while. One conclusion: I should write more?

Thoughts, ideas, confusion...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home